Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Tacoma's Best

Last night I was thinking of taking my boyfriend, his sister and his mom to The Melting Pot in Tacoma but since it was rather a spontaneous decision, we ended up not being able to get seatings. Note to self: Always make reservation even if it's 20 minutes away. Making the story short, we decided to go to Tacoma Pacific Grill instead and here is what I have to say about it.

The ambiance of the restaurant is pretty laid back. even at the busiest hour this place seems calm and mellow. Jazz was playing when we were there. I personally like the dark wood furniture and finishes - it compliments the dimmed lighting and the slow Jazz. Most patrons are in their late 30s and above - not very much of a surprise considering the environment of the restaurant is pretty lavish and sophisticated, suitable for the fancy diners.

Now food. We had the Steamers and Scallop Crudo. The Steamers is a bowl of steamed Manila clamps served with garlic and herbal broth with two medium slices of home-made croutons. It is definitely the best Manila clamps I have ever tasted since I first came to Seattle in fall 2007. I am a huge fan of shellfish and I have tried almost all shellfish dishes served in famous Seattle restaurant. I used to think that 13 Coins pesto Manila clam was the best but Pacific Grill definitely changed my mind. The clam was cooked carefully to the point that every clam managed to absorb even the smallest hint of herbs used in making the broth. I usually end up having at least one unopened clam in most restaurants I've been too but Pacific Grill made sure that did not happen.A flavorful dish it was with a nice garlic taste Though there are plenty of garlic bits visible in the broth, the taste of the garlic was rather subtle. I would have ordered a second serving but I decided to leave the room for something else since it was my first time there and I wanted to try as many dishes as I can.--------------$13.95

Scallop Crudo. My weakness. Raw jumbo scallops thinly sliced into for 4 slices served with fresh chopped basil and pepper. There are some other herbs as well that I can't really tell. I tried one slice without any lime juice and I have to say it did taste better with the lime wedges squeezed on it. They served it with lime wedges for a reason I guess. Forget sashimi, this crudo is fantastically flavorful that it rid off the strong taste of the Caipirinha I had with it. For something like this crudo, even those who squirm at the thought of eating raw food will ask for more.---------------$8.50

For main course we had their special 'Asian-style Mahi-mahi', The Pacific Grill 'Lobster Bake' and 'Halibut and Caviar'.

Let's start with the Mahi-mahi. So, I was told that it is a tropical fish, then how is it that in all my days back in Malaysia, I have never come across this fish. That besides the point, let me just say that the Mahi-mahi last night was nothing less than exceptional. I remember 'the piece of block' served at Oceanaire last year's Mother's day. It was a piece of Mahi-mahi cut into a thick block served a little shy from cold on a barren plate - that's when I knew that I wont be coming back there. Cheesecake factory 'fish of the day' has most often been the Mahi-mahi as well, cooked in 2 different ways grilled and another in Marinara sauce. I tried both, twice, utter disappointment. And yesterday Josh and I finally decided to give the Mahi-mahi its last chance and to our delight it has claimed a great reputation in our palate. The Pacific Grill Mahi-mahi is apparently seasonal, therefore I am very glad we came last night. Cooked with multiple Asian herbs served on a perfectly portioned bed of rice, this dish is a must try. Stereotype would have you believe that 'Asian-style' equals to 'spicy' or 'hot' but I can assure you that this dish is neither bland nor unbearably spicy. All four of us unanimously agreed that it was the best fish we've had in a long time. Ivar's Acres of Clams has got nothing on this Mahi-mahi.-----$32.00

Lobster Bake. The lobster bake consist of a medium sized lobster tail, cracked open for convenience, chopped red potatoes, scallops, Manila clams, mussels, PacGrill's own special sausage, artichoke heart and an out of place corn on a cob.It seems almost disappointing that the broth used for this dish is the same as the one used in The Steamers. The downside is, with all the other stuff in this dish, the broth did not taste as good anymore. The sausage and the corn on a cob definitely brought this dish down. Josh's sister,Mary, said the corn tasted like as if it came straight from the refrigerator. I don't even understand why would there be a sausage in bowl of seafood anyway. The dish would have been better without those two. Nonetheless this dish taste good for what it's worth. Definitely no something any of the four of us would try again but maybe there is someone out there who thinks having sausage mixed with four different kind of seafood is a great idea.-------$28.95

Halibut and Caviar. I definitely would rather have the Halibut without the 'sevruga' caviar on top. If I had a say in making this menu/dish, I would serve it without the caviar and slash the price because we know that one teaspoon of caviar on top of the halibut (which did absolutely nothing to improve the dish as a whole) probably make up 20% of the dish's price. Aside the unnecessary speckle of caviar on the halibut, everything else about the dish was amazing. The fish itself was tender, not chewy like some halibut I've had. Perfectly seasoned as it should be considering the nature of Halibut being bland. good portion, served on a bed of one of the finest mashed potato I have tried in Seattle. The mash potatoes was not too creamy, not too thick, greatly seasoned and would leave you scraping the dish for more. The asparagus on the side was just asparagus, Nothing really special about it. It didn't taste bad, it was not great either.------$32.00

DESERT

Julia Child's Brownies. It is more of Vanilla Bean Ice Cream served with Julia Child's brownies. The brownie itself is over-portioned by the ice cream. Nothing special about this dessert, though I can see how people would think that the brownie is slightly better than Betty Crocker's.-----$8.50

Crème brûlée. It was like any other Crème brûlée I have tasted in countless places. It made me wonder why I was stupid enough to order it. I was expecting it to be different I guess.------$8.00

Sorbet du jour. We had 'Margarita Mango'. Definitely one of the best Mango flavored sorbet/ice cream/gelato around. And I thought Whole Food's Malaysian Mango Gelato was great, until last night. Margarita because they put the sorbet in a salt rimmed glass. The salt didn't really do anything. Too bad the sorbet isn't technically made by PacGrill but purchased from the Olympic Mountain Ice Cream & Sorbet.----- $6.50

Wrapping up.

The food: PacGrill is good for their dishes but I will have my desert elsewhere. Definitely a place to come again for business lunch or just dinner. 9/10

The ambiance: classy, enough room between tables, music is neither loud nor too subtle, comfortable for a feel good dining experience or even for business lunch. 7.5/10

Price: Except for the dessert everything else is well portioned and priced. 8.5/10

Service: I had one of the most unfriendly server in my dining experience. Maybe because I was wearing shorts and fitted t-shirt and not some fancy dress shirts like what she usually gets. I tipped 20% nonetheless. 5/10.

p/s: PacGrill is VERY generous with their alcohol. You really just need one cocktail drink for the entire dinner. the Urban Bourbon will send you to bed earlier than your usual time.


3 comments:

  1. Dear Fadzrul,

    Thanks for the great blog posting about your recent meal here at Pacific Grill in Tacoma WA.

    I have been a chef and owned restaurants in Aspen, Colorado, before moving back to Tacoma (where I was born). Pacific Grill has now been open for 4 years. I have worked all over Los Angeles, New York, and Miami Beach at The Raleigh Hotel, although I never went to culinary school, but moved to LA after college at the U of W, to go to Law School— ended up cooking instead.

    While at my restaurant Gordon’s in Aspen, I had partnered with Bruce Paltrow & Blythe Danner, I received the Top Ten Best New American Chefs award from Food & Wine Magazine. I also can be found cooking on a few episodes of The Best Chefs in the West on PBS.

    A couple of comments on your posting if you will allow me…

    I am glad you enjoyed the clams but next time try our version of the classic Mussels/frites which are my favorite.

    The Crudo changes from time to time so next time it may not be the Scallop. The herbs you tasted were chives, cilantro & basil—all julienned fine. The sauce was a classic Thai/ Vietnamese sauce that has ginger & garlic pounded into it with a mortal & pestle. It also has kaffir lime leaf in it & fish sauce & fiery Thai chilies. (I was Chef of Le Colonial in Beverly Hills—a high-end French/Vietnamese restaurant). I love Asian flavors and have travelled extensively throughout Thailand and up into Burma (Myanmar). I love the contrast of sweet/salty/sour and heat in their simple Nam Pla style sauces.

    Have you tried Monsoon in Seattle? Modern Vietnamese and Very good.

    I am also glad you enjoyed the soy-braised mahi with five spices, coconut steamed rice, stir-fried vegetables & asian slaw, which was an addition to our regular menu the night you visited.

    Although you said you wouldn’t order the Lobster Bake again I would like to explain that adding corn on the cob and sausage to the recipe are classic additions. Just for fun I entered the words Lobster Bake, sausage and corn--and received 59,000 Google hits. You also find Spanish and Portuguese-style chorizo (not Mexican-style chorizo which is a different flavor altogether) added to many shellfish dishes in Europe, and indeed I have eaten this in Barcelona. That the corn tasted “out of the refrigerator” is unfortunate and I will show your blog to my other chefs.

    Also we source sustainable American caviar. We are the only restaurant in Tacoma that serves fresh caviar (which I happen to love), and the Halibut you mentioned is probably our biggest selling item. It will be on the menu until Halibut goes out of season in November.

    We celebrated Julia Child’s 97th birthday with a menu of her favorite recipes last Saturday night. Our Julia’s Brownie Sundae is our biggest selling dessert and is waaaaay beyond a Duncan Hines brownie.

    Crème Brûlée is one of the all-time classic desserts and to hear you describe it as “why was I so stupid to order it” makes me sad as it is such a wonderful dessert but obviously one you don’t enjoy.

    The comment that caused me the most grief was hearing how unfriendly our Server seemed to you. Maybe we were short-staffed and busy and she didn’t have time to interact. I wish I had more information about her as I would like her to read this—but I will have all my servers read your feedback as a way to remind them how important it is to be friendly. In your place I may not have been as generous with the 20% gratuity as you were.

    I would enjoy meeting you the next time you are dining here at Pacific Grill. I also write a blog if you would like to read it you can find it by going to our website www.pacificgrilltacoma.com . And thanks again for all the wonderful compliments. I am really flattered that you took the time to write so glowingly about my restaurant. Maybe some of your other friends will venture south to Tacoma and give us a try!
    Thanks again,
    Gordon Naccarato
    Chef/Owner

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. one other hint I have for your Blog that I do on mine is first typing the blog in a Word document so that it highlights spelling errors, then you can Paste the corrected document into your Blog posting which I find easier than using their spell-check.

    ReplyDelete